August 2, 2021
LinkedIn is one of the most powerful tools for nonprofit professionals in building their networks and getting hired. However, if your profile is not up to date or nonexistent, it’s easy to get overlooked by recruiters and potential connections. You could be the perfect fit for an opening, but if you do not have a complete profile, you might be passed over for a candidate that does. Get your LinkedIn to the next level by utilizing these tips:
- Use a recent business professional photo: According to LinkedIn’s research, having a profile picture makes your profile 14 times more likely to be viewed by other users. When you have a professional profile picture, you are signaling to recruiters that you are the real deal which could potentially lead to more connection requests, messages and future opportunities. Use a recent picture – don’t use the same headshot you’ve been using for the last decade. Smile and upload your high-resolution image. This is the time to put your best foot (or face) forward!
- Make sure your profile matches your resume: Fill in your relevant work experience – including your current position. As executive search experts, we are looking for specific accomplishments you achieved in your positions. Bonus points if you upload pictures, presentations and other media you have worked on that show specific skills you have. These details can help you stand out amongst other candidates.
- Customize your URL and include it on your resume: Having a custom LinkedIn URL with your name helps others find you more easily. This small change can have a big impact, as it shows your professional drive and attention to detail.
- Include a profile headline. In addition to your profile picture, your headline is the only thing that will pop up when someone is scrolling through their LinkedIn search results. It is best to use common keywords, like your job title, place of employment, and/or unique skills you bring to the table.
- Allow recruiters a way to contact you. As a social media platform, LinkedIn is all about making connections and finding opportunities that best fit your goals. Make it easier for people to connect with you by accepting InMail, or even better, list the best email people can reach you through. You could be the perfect fit for an open position, but if no one can find a way to contact you, they will move on to the next candidate.
By elevating your LinkedIn profile, you can create a stronger impression with future employers, recruiters and colleagues to help you advance in your career.