Herbalife Nutrition Foundation
(Los Angeles, CA)
HERBALIFE NUTRITION FOUNDATION:
Created in 1994, the Herbalife Nutrition Foundation (HNF) is a global nonprofit foundation dedicated to improving the lives of children and communities around the world. HNF supports, amongst other projects, Casa Herbalife Nutrition programs which are designed to improve the lives of children in need by partnering with existing charities to provide healthy meals and nutrition education to children around the world. This is the hallmark program of HNF and is supported primarily by Herbalife Nutrition distributors around the world.
HNF provides funding to 167 Casa Herbalife Nutrition programs in orphanages, hospitals, schools, and organizations in more than 59 countries. In 2021 alone, HNF served more than 216,000 children and their communities by distributing more than $4.7 million to Casa Herbalife Nutrition programs.
HNF funds disaster relief efforts in extreme circumstances by partnering with Save the Children and the American Red Cross to increase food, clothing, and other materials for affected communities. HNF also supports other charitable organizations dedicated to eradicating hunger and economic empowerment and partners with organizations such as the World Food Program, The Hunger Project, and Food Banks of Mexico.
While it is an independent 501c3, Herbalife Nutrition is a significant contributor to HNF, financing HNF’s operating and administrative expenses. Additionally, HNF has an endowment of more than $8.5 million. For more information, please visit https://www.herbalifenutritionfoundation.org/.
The President will be responsible for leading and advancing HNF’s vision, strategic initiatives, and priorities. With HNF expected to grow over the next three to five years, the President will be responsible for the development and successful execution of an annual plan to grow the Foundation. Reporting to the Board of Directors, the successful candidate will manage and oversee fund development, grant management, marketing and communications, finances, and overall operations. This is a donor/member-facing position that requires sensitivity to the Herbalife Nutrition culture. As an international foundation, the successful candidate will work irregular hours, evenings, weekends, and some holidays, as necessary. Travel, once normalized, will be approximately 10 percent if the President is based in Los Angeles. If remote, travel to Los Angeles will increase the percentage of travel. Essential duties include, but are not limited to:
- Develop and implement a global strategy that will expand the reach of HNF to ensure it is helping more people around the globe.
- Develop and implement a strategy that will enhance and expand the reputation of HNF.
- Plan and implement an annual development plan and strategy to initiate and meet fund-raising goals including annual fund and major gift opportunities.
- Recommend strategies and activities for donor cultivation, solicitation, and participation, as necessary.
- Set the strategy, goals and expected outcomes for all event fundraising initiatives.
- Supervise donor gift record-keeping and acknowledgments and oversee the management of databases and all donor records/sources of donations.
- Recommend and coordinate donor stewardship and recognition strategies for all mediums.
- Oversee major gift fundraising with top-level Distributors around the world.
- Train regional HNF and non-HNF staff to become a spokesperson for HNF as it relates to the development of HNF initiatives and funding practices.
- Responsible for Regional and Global Fund Development by reporting to the Board of Directors.
- Create presentations, compose copy, and develop tools for regional and international Herbalife staff related to HNF fundraising.
Internal operations and infrastructure
- Supervise a team of eleven with the following five direct reports: Director of Operations & Development, Controller, Grants Specialist, Communications & Social Media Specialist and Administrative Assistant.
- Supervise other critical elements of the Foundation including but not limited to legal, HR and finance.
- Develop a plan to enhance the systems of the organization to ensure the Foundation is operating as efficiently as possible.
- Oversee all finances of the HNF; assist with managing HNF budget and expenditures.
- Enhance HNF development excellence by establishing operational benchmarks, timelines and resources needed to achieve the strategic goals, proactively recommending, and driving improvements, as necessary.
- Make consistent and effective steps towards HNF goals by collaborating with appropriate Herbalife local and regional offices to follow through with coordinated accountabilities and objectives.
- Maintain a knowledge management system that ensures maximum sharing of information and learning throughout the organization.
- Manage POS fundraising purchasing including vendor selection, products, and services evaluation, shipping and receiving for US and non-US events.
- Be fiscally responsible to the organization.
- Become a spokesperson for HNF as it relates to the development of HNF initiatives and funding practices.
- Assist with managing HNF volunteer initiatives for Casa Herbalife programs worldwide.
Marketing and Communications
- Oversee the development and design of direct mail and email appeals, newsletters, and other development materials.
- Oversee the creation of all HNF marketing and communications as it relates to specific campaigns and events.
- Assist with maintaining and expanding HNF’s website as a primary resource for funders, donors, grantees, investment partners, press and the general public – reflecting the mission, values, and practice of HNF through stories, videos, reports, giving options and comprehensive information about HNF’s structure, portfolios, areas of interest and expertise, events, and grant-making guidelines.
- Assist in managing the grants system including creation of proposals, processing of applications, drafting of grant agreements, processing of grant applications and creation and dissemination of reports as needed.
- Ensure compliance with the HNF’s grant-making policies and procedures.
- Coordinate with regional HNF staff and Casa Herbalife program staff to prioritize applicants for funding and maintain deadlines for proposals and reports to meet grant-making and grant administration goals.
- Work with regional HNF staff and Casa Herbalife program staff to maintain workflow of grant-making.
- Respond to grantee's inquiries regarding the status of requests, grant agreements and payment procedures.
- Answer and/or refers applicants and/or grant inquiries.
- Update grantee information in the database.
- Educate staff and volunteers regarding grant recipients and funding priorities.
- Serve as a contact for staff requesting grants-related information and materials for internal and external meetings, the audit, and the annual report.
TRAITS AND CHARACTERISTICS DESIRED:
The successful candidate will have an unrelenting passion and commitment to helping those in need. An essential characteristic is vision; someone who can see not only what exists but more importantly, what could be. The President will be charged with taking HNF to the next level while ensuring that the history and legacy programs are preserved and enhanced. The person should also be creative and intellectually curious with a desire to take on big projects and opportunities.
Emotionally intelligent, the President will have exceptional interpersonal skills with the ability to interact effectively with Herbalife Nutrition Distributors from different countries and cultures. The individual must have effective communication skills, both written and verbal, and must be an active listener. Demonstrated ability to think strategically, problem-solve, innovate, exercise initiative, prioritize, and manage multiple tasks/projects and sensitive information is essential.
The President will work independently, solve practical problems, and carry out responsibilities effectively under pressure. The individual must be well organized, focused, and have a goal-oriented work style. The successful candidate should have exceptional organizational and administrative skills with the ability to set goals and objectives, organize and provide follow-through. The ideal candidate will be a visionary leader while being a hands-on professional with the ability to adapt to HNF needs. Strong partnerships and relationships with Herbalife Nutrition staff and distributors are essential.
The individual should be committed to high performance, teamwork and accountability with a strong work ethic and dedication to build a culture of high productivity and individual accountability to scale the organization. Proven management experience and skills to effectively organize, direct, motivate and evaluate other professional and support staff and volunteers is essential. An inclusive leadership style that exemplifies collaboration, trust, and transparent communication between all Herbalife stakeholders is necessary.
CAREER TRACK LEADING TO THIS POSITION:
Candidates should have at least seven years of senior-level management experience with increasing responsibility with importance given to candidates from nonprofits with a proven track record of growing an organization and a passion for the mission of HNF. The ideal candidate will have a demonstrated ability to grow, lead, and manage a complex organization involving many components. Candidates with demonstrated experience with major gifts, volunteer management and board relations will be preferred. Being multilingual would be a plus. The ability to travel internationally and work some evenings and weekends is required. Proficiency with Blackbaud’s Raiser’s Edge CMS system Blackbaud, NetCommunity and/or Microedge Gifts/Gifts online software solutions is a plus.
Compensation is competitive. Relocation assistance, if needed, is negotiable. A comprehensive benefits package will be provided.
Sign up for our monthly newsletter
We'll keep you up-to-date on news about current searches as well as filled positions!