STEM Funders Network
(Location Flexible, US)
Title: Executive Director
ABOUT STEM FUNDERS NETWORK:
The STEM Funders Network (SFN) is a group of nearly 25 private, family, community and corporate foundations whose vision is that every young person should have an equitable opportunity to engage in high-quality in-school and out-of-school STEM learning experiences. Since 2012, the STEM Funders Network has provided member foundations and businesses who are engaged in STEM related educational investments the framework and support services to learn from one another and collaborate for greater impact by leveraging resources, ideas and leadership. Member organizations are represented by principals or executive leadership of their respective foundations.
Whether funding out-of-school opportunities, in-school STEM education, STEM learning cross-sector ecosystems, or connecting young people to internships in STEM industries, SFN supports an integrated vision for learning STEM and a systems view of connecting education to workforce and economic development. SFN provides funders the opportunity to build the field of STEM education in ways that no one of the funders could accomplish alone.
STEM Funders Network seeks to elevate learning in science, technology, engineering and math so that all young people can succeed in the economy of the future. Focusing on girls, young people of color and low-income young people who have been historically marginalized in the STEM professions, SFN facilitates effective grantmaking in three key ways:
- Learning: In-person and virtual learning sessions with diverse leaders focus on emerging research, key policy developments and effective practices;
- Networking: SFN’s dynamic community is a catalyst for informal partnerships and opportunities to leverage grantmaking for greater impact; and
- Action: SFN’s collaborative initiatives (including Next Generation Science Standards; STEM Learning Ecosystems Community of Practice; Imagine Science; and OpenSciEd) are transforming the field.
For more information please visit: www.stemfundersnetwork.org
STEM Funders network is a fiscally sponsored project of Charitable Ventures.
STEM Funders Network is seeking a visionary, strategic and entrepreneurial leader to serve as the organization’s first Executive Director and channel the collective strength of its membership to chart a course for the future.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE POSITION:
All activities of SFN shall be carried out under the leadership and direction of the Executive Director who, working in close collaboration with the Executive Committee, sets the strategic direction of the organization and oversees daily operations to ensure SFN achieves its strategic objectives.
Specific responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
- Membership Development and Support. Develops opportunities for membership to learn, network and collaborate on key issues. Oversees membership, including identifying and establishing strategies to approach and cultivate new members, supports and maintains current member relationships; facilitates and supports members by advising and informing them of trends, needs and opportunities in the field; ensures an environment that is conducive to creative and good governance and productive committee work; advances opportunities to further diversify membership.
- Advances the Field. Identifies areas where SFN members have affinity and helps bring them together to work on like-minded projects and initiatives to advance the field. Serves as a thought leader in the development of new initiatives and partnerships with other groups, agencies and organizations; advocates for policy impacting STEM education to advance the field in alignment with SFN’s core principles; engages members for input and direction.
- Fiscal and Organizational Management. Liaises with fiscal sponsor; develops and presents the annual budget to the Executive Committee and fiscal sponsor for approval; provides oversight of the organization’s resources to stay within budget guidelines; develops and maintains an effective organizational structure with respect to policies and procedures; ensures the development of an organizational culture that is characterized by a commitment to quality, collaboration, transparency and mutual respect.
- External Relations. Ensures that SFN and its mission, programs and initiatives are consistently presented in a strong and appropriate light to relevant stakeholders; ensures that SFN is recognized nationally through well-conceived branding strategies; serves as a thought leader and the chief spokesperson for SFN; travels and participates in speaking engagements on its behalf.
TRAITS AND CHARACTERISTICS DESIRED:
Preferred candidates will be innovative, forward-thinking and facilitative coalition builders who can work at multiple levels with the SFN membership and partners, providing leadership as appropriate and establishing a basis for trust and mutuality of expectations. The Executive Director should have the ability to identify trends and issues of significance to the field for the future while leveraging the strengths from the capacities of the membership; strategic thinking should be combined with solid, tactical and pragmatic implementation.
SFN seeks a person comfortable as a hands-on contributor and enabler of others who excels in follow-through. The successful candidate should be an open, confident and articulate professional who enjoys exploring new ideas and thinking creatively. Exceptional written and oral communication skills are essential. The Executive Director must be highly self-motivated, organized and resourceful, and excel at setting priorities, planning and implementation.
Above all, the Executive Director must embrace and champion the core principles of SFN and STEM education equity and access. As such, the successful candidate will articulate a lived commitment to and understanding of Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Access (DEIA) and will work productively across lines of difference effectively incorporating DEIA into all aspects of their work. Candidates from traditionally underrepresented communities and historically oppressed groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
CAREER PATH LEADING TO THIS POSITION:
Candidates should have experience that demonstrates the ability to innovate, think strategically and facilitate collaborative decision making. A strong grasp of current issues in the STEM education landscape is required. Preference will be given to candidates with a keen working knowledge of the philanthropic community from experience working for or with private foundations or corporate funders. Successful experience in organizational and financial management as well as strategic planning and internal and external relations are also important. Successful candidates should have a range of well-developed skills that demonstrate the ability to conceptualize, plan, implement, administer, evaluate, and develop resources. Experience working in a policy and/or advocacy related role would be a plus.
Salary range is $115,000-$130,000 annually. SFN will also provide comprehensive benefits administered through its fiscal partner, Charitable Ventures.
Sign up for our monthly newsletter
We'll keep you up-to-date on news about current searches as well as filled positions!