Mayfield Senior School
Title: Director of Communications and Marketing
MAYFIELD SENIOR SCHOOL:
Founded in 1931, Mayfield Senior School of the Holy Child Jesus is a Catholic, independent, college preparatory school for young women grades 9-12 sponsored by the Society of the Holy Child Jesus. The School is committed to academic excellence within the context of Christian values. Mayfield educates the minds and hearts of compassionate and inquisitive students, and guides them to become joyful, faith-filled, confident young women. Each student makes a meaningful contribution to society as Mayfield fosters their intellectual, spiritual, artistic, emotional, and physical gifts.
The measure of a Mayfield education goes beyond cumulative grade point averages, test scores and academic success. It reaches depths that touch character and virtue and finds expression in “Actions Not Words.” Mayfield fosters unity within diversity, simplicity and faith that generates a joy of being.
Located in a lovely residential neighborhood of Pasadena with a historic mansion as the main hall (Strub Hall), Mayfield currently enrolls 330 girls with a budget of $11 million and endowment of $13 million. As a member of the Holy Child Network of Schools, Mayfield shares in the mission of the Society of the Holy Child Jesus: “to help others to believe that God lives and acts in them and in our world, and to rejoice in the divine presence.” Mayfield offers an education with a distinctive spirit, grounded in the philosophy and spirituality of Cornelia Connelly, foundress of the Society of the Holy Child Jesus.
After a distinguished tenure as Head of School at Mayfield Senior, Kate Morin will be retiring in June 2023. The Board of Trustees has announced the appointment of Laura Farrell as its next Head of School. With 30 years of experience in education, Laura will join Mayfield from Merion Mercy Academy in Philadelphia.
For more information about Mayfield Senior School, please visit www.mayfieldsenior.org.
Reporting to the Head of School and as a member of the senior leadership team, the Director of Communications & Marketing is responsible for implementing and executing a strategic communication and marketing plan to advance Mayfield as a Catholic, independent, Holy Child School, and position the School for admissions and philanthropy. In partnership with the leadership team and other colleagues, the Director of Communications & Marketing will be a collaborator and deliver timely and relevant information across all platforms (web, social media, email, and print) to appropriate constituents to ensure cohesive and consistent messaging. Immersed in all aspects of school life, the Director of Communications & Marketing will be engaged in all activities including academics, admissions, athletics, and arts to better understand and articulate appropriate messages. Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Develop and implement an annual marketing communications plan for each of the School’s target audiences, with the goal of building brand recognition and increasing engagement and support. Ensure that the School maintains frequent and consistent communication with each target audience (parents, faculty, and alumnae) and generates compelling content that best shares the School’s core values and relevant messaging with each constituent group.
- Admissions for prospective students and their families
- Fundraising to attract support from current parents, alumnae, and past parents
- Community building for the broader Pasadena community, Southern California and beyond
- Supervise Communications team and oversee all resources and vendors (graphic designers, photographers, printers, USPS Bulk Mail office etc.). Create a culture that will inspire staff and colleagues with a sense of purpose, innovation, energy, productivity, accountability, collaboration, and professional growth.
- Participate in school meetings and events for the purpose of conveying and/or gathering information; maintain positive relationships with faculty, staff, parents, and community for the purpose of unifying the efforts of all communications.
- Manage timing and content of communications to maximize outreach with current and prospective families, the alumnae community, and the broader local community.
- Manage the production of marketing communications including print and electronic publications, collateral materials, website content, and other online/electronic messaging, advertising, and media relations.
- Maximize the communications and marketing potential in welcoming a new Head of School (starting July 1, 2023) as a means to re-engage former trustees, past parents, and alumnae.
- Help manage the Communications and Marketing sub-committee of the Advancement Committee by providing agendas, meeting materials and minutes.
- Leverage the School’s special events (art exhibits and performances, traditions, community outreach events) to raise the community profile of the School.
- Leverage the alumnae network to generate content and outreach activities that support the Marketing Communications Plan.
- Develop and implement strategic advertising plans and manage the annual advertising budget.
- Oversee all publications and graphic design for brand standards. Ensure that graphic and editorial standards for brand, identity and logos are maintained. Provide quality control of all communications using Publications Approval Form to approve faculty/staff-generated messages to parents/community.
- Prepare to lead a rebranding. Working with a consultant, build a message and identity that appropriately supports and reflects the values, identity, and aspirations of the School as well as increases Mayfield Senior’s visibility and competitive positioning while enhancing the public’s perception of the school.
- Media Relations/Public Relations
- Serve as the School’s primary media contact.
- Manage frequent submissions to local media outlets (articles, photos with IDs).
- Plan and implement a media relations program to increase the visibility of the School’s mission and vision.
- Develop relationships with newspapers and publications to increase visibility.
- Maintain archives for media, advertising and public relations/school photos and multi-media.
- Seek opportunities for local media coverage; write and distribute press releases and calendar announcements.
- Advise Head of School on crisis communications.
- Produce videos as appropriate for website, admissions and advancement promotions and solicitations.
- Manage Professional Photography/Videography
- Book/Confirm photographers and be their on-site liaison during engagements.
- Provide photography for all school, advancement, and community-wide events.
- General Writing/Editing
- Generate and post news stories on the School’s website and social media platforms.
- Source and seek permission to publish alumnae quotes, testimonials, and profiles.
- Manage and oversee the production of the Admissions Viewbook and the Postscripts Magazine which also includes special features and profiles.
- Create content and manage production of This Week (electronic parent communications piece) and oversee production of the quarterly electronic alumnae newsletter, The Crier, and all community electronic newsletter, the Mayfield Messenger.
- Serve as the final point in proofing electronic and print communications, ensuring that all communications are without typos or content errors.
- Social Media
- Creatively communicate the School’s core values by aligning messaging with other associations/events (Catholic celebration calendar, SHCJ, fundraising events, Women’s History Month, Giving Tuesday, etc.).
- Create/oversee production of videos for website and social media.
- Project Management
- Collaborate with administration, faculty, and staff to manage the communications calendar for project deadlines, events, and meetings.
- Coordinate the annual publications including print deadlines and budgets.
- Provide logistical support (getting printer estimates/bids) to design consultant(s) to complete projects on time and on budget.
TRAITS AND CHARACTERISTICS DESIRED:
The Director of Communications and Marketing will have the proven ability to build a strategic communications and marketing plan and lead rebranding efforts to support and reflect the mission of Mayfield. The successful candidate should have the capacity to plan, organize, and implement a variety of complex projects simultaneously and under deadline conditions while maintaining the integrity and quality of each project. High levels of initiative, creativity, and responsiveness are required for both print and digital projects. The ideal candidate will be a hard-working, patient, attentive to detail and collaborative leader, and be an open, communicative, strong, and confident professional.
The successful candidate will be an excellent storyteller and a skilled communicator, both in writing and verbally, with excellent project management, marketing analytics, editing, and organizational skills. The demonstrated ability to work at all levels within an organization and to influence end results through exceptional listening skills is essential while creating and maintaining positive relationships with internal and external constituencies. The ability to be responsive, results-oriented and have good follow-through is essential. An energetic and visible leader, the successful candidate will possess a commitment to Mayfield’s mission and values and can passionately represent and promote them.
CAREER TRACK LEADING TO THIS POSITION:
The successful candidate will be a skilled communications and marketing professional with five to ten years of progressive work experience, preferably in an educational institution. Being knowledgeable about best practices and trends in data-driven marketing, brand management, and public relations is essential. Ideally, the candidate will have an understanding and knowledge of an independent school environment, strategically engaging with students, parents, alumnae, past parents, and the greater community. Knowledge of all-girls independent school education would be a plus. Skill in using Blackbaud software is highly preferred. Proficiency in using Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, as well as Google Workspace, is important.
A Bachelor’s degree is required.
The annual salary range for this position is $110,000 - $130,000. Relocation assistance, if needed, is negotiable. A comprehensive benefits package will be provided.
Sign up for our monthly newsletter
We'll keep you up-to-date on news about current searches as well as filled positions!